Monday, July 26, 2010

San Diego Comic-Con 2010 - Day 4

Photobucket


Sunday is usually the dead day of the con - being that people are extremely tired out from Saturday Night drinking and hardcore partying as well as it being the family half-day. The only time people are really awake are in the mad two hour rush at the end of the day - where vendors start dropping prices on items faster then a Wall Street market crash.

But walking around the booths at the Anime Alley this year in that mad rush - I realized only three booths were even selling manga. And only one of them had any extensive libraries - and they cost quite a bit. Not only that, NONE of them carried the MegaTokyo volume 6 that I wanted to pick up at the con. Lets put it this way - I heard one of the vendors complaining about manga pirating and that the entire industry was burning in flames. You would expect a vendor to say that. I hung out with Fred "Piro" Gallagher online later during his online drawing session that he had later in the night  - and he put it simply as "Manga is dead." That's something you don't want to hear as a Otaku from someone who's done extremely well in the past in Graphic Novels and has been on the New York Best Sellers list multiple times.

Anyway, some more of the minor details I did today as well as more pictures after the jump.



  • I really wish I had checked the DC booth throughly - I had not known that CMX had gone the way of the dinosaurs and that DC was not even doing any promotion for MegaTokyo volume 6. Piro was throughly pissed about the non-advertising from DC and I don't blame him.
  • Yoshitaka Amano is just simply amazing. He starts his drawings from the very top of the head and shades before he completes most of the outline lines. Only someone who's been drawing for decades can draw like that...
  • It was nice to see Cosplay Chess again this year - but hopefully those who want to run it again via Cosplay.com at Comic-Con hold it earlier in the day or earlier in the con. It really wrecked into my alloted time to roam the final hours of the Exhibit Hall. 
  • Next year, I need to set aside time to roam around the Gaslamp area. There was a ton of stuff going on out there that I never got to. That is - if I even manage to get a 4-day badge w/Preview Night as there are rumors spreading like wildfire about PN badges ALREADY being sold out for 2011.
And now for some pictures - and that'll be it for this year's Comic-Con posts.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
Cosplayers of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment